Tuesday, August 25, 2020

The King of Israel Sent Me Off to Battle with My Own Death Warrant

 

The King of Israel Sent Me Off to Battle with My Own Death Warrant


 

So it was, while Joab besieged the city, that he assigned Uriah to a place where he knew there were valiant men. Then the men of the city came out and fought with Joab. And some of the people of the servants of David fell; moreover, Uriah the Hittite also died. --- 2Samuel 11; 16-17

 

            The time was spring in the land of Israel. I was a soldier in the kingdom of David and his LORD almighty. We had besieged the city of Rabbah and completely destroyed the people of Ammon. My name is Uriah. I am a Hittite from the lands north of the 12 provinces of Israel. I was not born in Israel, but I gave my full allegiance to my adopted countrymen as I also put my trust and faith in their LORD. I have a story for you. I am currently in the last moments of my life. I am flanked on all positions by valiant men, in the heat of battle. I have been struck many times with the sword and I think I am about to leave this world to be with my king, forever.

            A few weeks ago, the King himself, David, sent a message to my master and the commander of the army, Joab. I was to leave the company and report immediately to the king. The King did not leave any details as to what the business was all about. I grabbed my battle gear and left immediately with the messengers.

            To be summoned before the King is a terrifying feeling. But it can also be one full of reward. The King had in himself the power of life and death. He could destroy me with punishment or prosper me with reward. And my King was the King of Israel himself. It was common knowledge that the LORD had given the King all his enemies to do as he wished. David was a valiant fighter himself, first establishing himself as a fighter when he, a short man, took on Goliath the giant and defeated him before cutting his head off for blaspheming the name of the LORD and his Army.

            So to go see the King was as if I were going to see God himself. I arrived hours after I was summoned. With all my gear, I ran the whole trip up to Jerusalem where the King’s Palace stood. When I arrived, I was in full military gear, in military posture, ready to give my report to the King. He summoned me before the throne.

            The King asked me how the battles were going. I told him that we were fighting our hearts out there. There were some setbacks. We lost great fighters and we made some mistakes along the way. In Ammon, we took arrows from the wall. One of my comrades was killed when a woman dropped a large rock on his head from the wall, but all in all, we were able to advance and siege the city were not one man woman or child was left alive.

            I reported my own battles to the King. I was in the middle of 3 battles in which I captured enemy combatants and brought them before Joab to be searched and interrogated for intelligence. The men that I captured told us the exact location of their king and where all the wall fortifications were so that we could avoid those and hit the enemy army where they were at their weakest.

            The King replied that he was most proud of me. That as a son of Israel, he would see to it that I receive meritorious service medals and a command position of a hundred men. I was most humble to hear my lord’s words. He then commanded me to go home, eat, lie with my wife, and sleep for the night before I was to go back out to the army.

            I disobeyed the king. I slept outside the palace gates with the rest of his servants. I ate nothing but the war rations within my pack. I did not go to my house to let my beautiful wife, Bathsheba, know I was around. I could not betray my brothers like that. Some of them were still in the middle of bloodshed and battle. Who knows how long it would be before they got a chance to see their families, if ever again. I could not bring myself to such betrayal of my countrymen, even though my heart was longing for seeing my wife; to make love to her; to be comforted by her touch, voice, and the wonderful food she always prepared for me; to hear about the simple tasks of her days.

            The King summoned me again. A report was made of my whereabouts. I presented myself to him once again. I thought it quite strange that the King in all his majesty and distinguished presence would offer me, a lowly man, a position at his table to dine with him. What more, I wondered why he was spending so much time in the palace in the first place. The King usually was in the vicinity of the battle, directing reports and commands. Yet here he was offering me food and wine. Inside I was distraught, but for fear of my life, I kept the matter to myself and obliged the King.

            For hours he fed me, and poured the wine in my cup himself. He asked about my family. He wanted to know what my upbringing was like and how I had come to be a part of his great army, when I could have remained in my former house, away from the people of Israel. He was amazed at my loyalty.

            Then he commanded me again. He told me to go get comfort at my home. He said that I would hold much higher rank in days to come, and the time for family would be diminished with such a heavy burden of responsibilities. It would be good for me to lie with my wife before I go back out to battle.

            Even in my drunken state, I would not obey the king in the matter. Again I slept at the palace gate with the rest of the servants. Again my wife would rest her head not knowing that I was inside the city, minutes from being able to lie next to her and tell her my love and devotion for her. I could never love another woman apart from Bathsheba. Yet I also could not betray my countrymen in battle. How could I comfort myself while they lived every minute not knowing if it would be their last? May God deal with me, be it ever so severely if I took upon myself such a pleasure.

            The King of Israel, David, summoned me one final time. This time he was not kind. He asked me why I did not do as he recommended. When I went to explain myself, he cut me off. He gave me a piece of papyrus paper, with a note written, The King said I was to deliver the note to the Commander, Joab.

            I did not ask what was written in that note. I did not consider myself worthy enough to know the King’s business before Joab. I left the city with haste. Hours later I was standing tall before Joab. I told him all that I had reported to the King. Joab took the note from my hand and read it while in my presence. When he finished his eyes were quickly fixed on me and he smiled. At this time I had assumed that the King had spoken of his recommendation for my promotion within the army.

            Now as I lay here in the throes of defeat in battle, I think that note contained something much more sinister, something much more to my demise than to my benefit. Joab had ordered me to a forward position where there only the best fighting men of the enemy army were located. I know this because of the intelligence that I had garnered from other enemy troops during the time when I captured those other men.

            As I sit in this cave, out in the deserts of the battle, I have come to some conclusions. I must have been naïve as well as brave before the King. He had it out for me. When I fought today, the rest of the army of Israel was told to retreat. I was surrounded by enemy fighters and I have two arrows to the chest. I’m hiding from them, although I can hear them advancing on me. I can hear their talks about cutting my head off when they find me.

            I will never see my Bathsheba again. I will never look into her beautiful lavender eyes and tell her how I want to start expanding our family, like she had always wanted. I will never feel her breasts pressed up against me as we hug for dear life, every moment I come home from yet another of the LORD’s battles. As my breath gets shallower by the minute, I wonder if I should have listened to the King. I wish now that I could have gone home one final time.

            I may never see my Bathsheba again, but I am about to see another king; The King of Heaven’s Army, the LORD himself. I hope that it is him who will repay me for my loyalty. I hope he tells me how hard I fought for him and how well I did for my countrymen. But before I die, I am going to run out of this hiding place, and try to take out at least one more enemy with the blade of my sword.

Yours Truly,

Uriah the Hittite.

           

             

 

No comments:

Post a Comment