Sunday, August 16, 2020

The Conjuring: Why Megadeth Won’t Ever play This Song Again

 

The Conjuring:

Why Megadeth Won’t Ever play This Song Again

Big-Joe-Radio

8/29/2014

 

            Welcome to my writing sanctuary that I humbly like to call, Big-Joe-Radio. In taking to my usual custom of writing about themes with music, I’d like to go over one of my most favorite metal bands of all time. By that, I mean Megadeth. More specifically I’d like to get into the mind of Dave Mustaine, to see what made him write and perform such dark themed music. His spirituality is amazing to me. He has swung all the way from the right side of the pendulum to now the left.  He went from supreme sinner, to what he has labeled himself to being a born again Christian. Take a ride with me as I Analyze the music, the man, the black magic. First enjoy the music and the Lyrics of, The Conjuring.

 

"The Conjuring"

Welcome to out sanguinary sect of worship,
Feel at home in our black conventicle,
As we anathematise,
All of those who oppose us,
Don't summon the devil,
Don't call the priests,
If you need the strength,
The conjuring. Obey!!!

Behold the flames rise,
From the compass' cardinal points,
Burn the sacred oil,
And, with the ashes you'll annoint,

Arrange the symbols,
Of the wizard, and, magician,
Light the candles,
Place the parchment paper in position,
Between its leaves place,
The lash from a black cat's eye,
A straw of a broom,
Fold, and, burn, and, centralise,

Don't summon the devil,
Don't call the priests,
If you need the strength,
The conjuring,

I am the devil's advocate,
A salesman, if you will,
You know my name. [You know my name],

I met your father years ago,
Gave him what he'd please,
He called my name, you'll do the same,

I'm claiming what is mine by right,
It's time to close the deal,
You're bought and sold, bought and sold,

Come join me in my infernal depths,
Mephisto's hall of fame
I've got your soul, I've got your soul,
The conjuring. Obey!!!

 

 

 

            Holy-cow, fellas. What the hell was I just listening to? I remember I was a young lad of about 13-14. I was starting to get into my years of discovering my own identity and individuality. I remember walking into a record store one day and hearing the base line of this song, after the singer says, “Obey”. To me that sounded exactly like 4 horsemen riding into the dark of night to wreak havoc, chaos, and destruction on the world. The Conjuring was the anthem of those deadly riders. I loved it.

            The song that I speak of is of course call The Conjuring. The song is the second track on probably the best thrash metal album of all time, Peace Sells but Who’s Buying. The song simulates a Satanic ceremony. It also makes it seem like the singer is representing himself as the Devil’s advocate, or salesman. That singer is Dave Mustaine himself. He claims that the song is deeply rooted in black magic. The song has not been played by Megadeth since 2001, roughly around the same time that Dave Mustaine and the Bassist David Ellefson, converted to Christianity.

            Here’s my brief description of what I think of all the tracks on Peace Sells… The introductory track, Wake Up Dead is obviously about coming home late at night and hoping that your live in girlfriend is not aware that you were just out cheating on her. How many of us men can relate to this? The idea of momma giving us a kitchen pass, for us only to use that pass to betray her behind her back. Sometimes cheating has nothing to do with whether or not we love the woman we cheated on, but rather the fact that men are very carnal in nature. We love the thrill of the chase, the capture and the seduction of a beautiful woman. Sometimes when a girlfriend/wife gives us that free pass, she is giving us a ticket to our own harm. This song clearly displays the truth to this, and the music conveys the madness that happens inside a man’s mind as he must choose between two women. This is true even though he may love both woman but for two very different reasons. Or he may just love the hunt like I said.

"Wake Up Dead"

I sneak in my own house,
It's four in the morning,
I had too much to drink,
Said I was out with the boys,
I creep in my bedroom,
I slip into bed,
I know if I wake her,
I'll wake up dead,

[Chorus:]
I wonder, will she find out,
About the other, other lover,
Diana.

Wake up dead, you die,
Wake up dead, and buried,
Wake up dead, you die,
Wake up dead.

 

            Peace Sells, the title track, to this album is a direct reflection of Dave Mustaine’s strong political beliefs. Now I am not going to say that I fully agree or disagree. I will state that when I first bought the cassette tape, I fully admired the cover. You have this skeleton in a business suit standing over a for sale sign. His mouth is wired shut, his ears are muffled by some cool chain links and his eyes are a steel plate, screwed shut. To me that conveys the idea of “Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil”. Obviously the idea was to depict the government as one huge hypocrisy. The government is probably the most evil entity out there. Now you can decide if those are my words or Dave’s words.

“Peace Sells…but Who’s Buying”

What do you mean, "I don't believe in God"?
I talk to him every day.
What do you mean, "I don't support your system"?
I go to court when I have to.
What do you mean, "I can't get to work on time"?
I got nothing better to do
And, what do you mean, "I don't pay my bills"?
Why do you think I'm broke? Huh?

[Chorus:]
If there's a new way,
I'll be the first in line.
But, it better work this time.

What do you mean, "I hurt your feelings"?
I didn't know you had any feelings.
What do you mean, "I ain't kind"?
I'm just not your kind.
What do you mean, "I couldn't be the president of the United States of America"?
Tell me something, it's still "We the people", right?

[Chorus: (repeat)]
If there's a new way
I'll be the first in line,
But, it better work this time.

Can you put a price on peace?
Peace,
Peace sells...,
Peace,
Peace sells...,
Peace sells...,but who's buying?
Peace sells...,but who's buying?
Peace sells...,but who's buying?
Peace sells...,but who's buying?
[n+1 times more]
No, peace sells...

           

            Devil’s Island is probably my second favorite track on the album. From looking at the lyrics, you see a man is destitute on a penal island, awaiting his execution. The song is called Devil’s Island, but here’s what I find interesting. I find that either we live a 4 dimensional world, in which one of those dimensions is one that we can only sense. We cannot feel, see, taste, or even hear it. Yet we know it is there. Take a look at your own child, and you will realize that only then have you seen the closest thing to heaven, or realize you have an angel from God. On the other hand be in the presence of the most sinister being, and you will realize that some people are surrounded by the most sinister spirits. The bible itself speaks about the Government being the agents of God’s wrath on humans. For this song, that is none-the-less true. A man awaits his death. He prays for mercy. He gets instead a life sentence on this island, rather than death itself. Very amazing stuff. Even devils and angels operate in the highest forms of our government.

"Devil's Island"

The light that fills my lonely cell,
Is blocked out by the key,
That locks the door to this hell,
The place they wanted me.
Time's racing like the wind,
Execution's near,
Oh lord, I wait for death,
And, yes, I have no fear.
I recall that night, my every breath,
And, step along the way.
Closed my eyes, walking,
As danger paved the way.
The devil, and the darkness
Let her evil wander free
And, here on Devils Island,
The final stop for me.

[Chorus:]
Devils Island, Devils Island.

Oh, there is no escape,
The sea is full of sharks.
The tide takes you away, and
Smashes you on the rocks.
The sun is shining,
But feel not today,
It's warmth, it's dying,
And fading away.

[Chorus (repeat):]
Devils Island, (here I stay) Devils Island.

Oh, hear the call,
From the grave beyond.
Oh, so pernicious,
Her soul it creates song.
As there is no man, that is
Here upon the earth,
Able to terminate our
Noisome will since birth.

The priest that reads the sermons,
Is walking next to me,
To the stake, my last request,
To have her burn with me.
But, so it did, the heavens opened,
Rain began to fall.
The final judgement came, and
Was spread before you all.
Final judgement.

Old, weak, and feeble,
But the lesson taught to me,
To stay away from evil,
She doesn't care for me.
She haunts me in my sleep,
Though I tore that page away.
And, here on Devils Island,
I'll always have to stay.

[Chorus (repeat):]
Devils Island, Devils Island.
(Devils Island, Devils Island.)
Here I am.

[Chorus (repeat 4 times):]
Devils Island, Devils Island.

 

 

            Good Mourning/Black Friday is an interesting song about a serial killer. I don’t know where Dave came up with the idea for this song, but it seems to coincide with the rest of the record in dealing with the dark spiritual realm of the world we live in. For this song though, we see that a man is deranged or obviously possessed to take the lives of others. He has no conscience, no apathy, and no sympathy for anything. He’s a cold blooded killer who’s only motivation is the thrill of the kill.

"Good Mourning / Black Friday"

Good Mourning.

Hey, I don't feel so good.
Something's not right,
Something's coming over me
What the f**k is this?

Killer, intruder, homicidal man.
If you see me coming, run as fast as you can.
A blood thirsty demon who's stalking the street.
I hack up my victims like pieces of meat.
Blood thirsty demon, sinister fiend,
Bludgeonous slaughters, my evil deeds.

My hammer's a cold piece of blood-lethal steel.
I grin while you writhe with the pain that I deal.
Swinging the hammer, I hack through their heads,
Deviant defilers, you're next to be dead.
I unleash my hammer with sadistic intent.
Pounding, surrounding, slamming through your head. Yeah!

Their bodies convulse, in agony, and, pain.
I mangle their faces, till no features remain.
A blade for the butchering, I cut them to shreds.
First take out the organs, then cut off the head.
The remains of flesh now sop under my feet.
One more bloody massacre, the murders' complete.
I seek to dismember, a sadist fiend.
And, blood baths are my way of getting clean.
I lurk in the alleys, wait for the kill.
I have no remorse for the blood that I spill
A merciless butcher who lives underground.
I'm out to destroy you and ,I will, cut you down. (Cut you down)
I see you, and, I'm waiting ,for Black Friday.

Killer, intruder, homicidal man.
If you see me coming, run as fast as you can.
A blood thirsty demon who's stalking the street.
I hack up my victims like pieces of meat.
I lurk in the alleys, wait for the kill.
I have no remorse for the blood that I spill
A merciless butcher who lives underground.
I'm out to destroy you and ,I will, cut you down.

It's Black Friday, paint the devil on the wall. [8 times]

 

            Bad Omen is another song about the occult. The first sentence in the song mentions the falling of stars. That is very remarkable, because in the old Jewish portions of the bible, Satan is referred to as the “Great Morning Star” that fell. Apparently there was and is a hierarchy in the spiritual world. In heaven, Satan was described as the most beautiful and wisest of angels. His splendor was magnificent and only second to God himself. From my own interpretation, I can tell you that Satan became proud and wanted to be even greater than God himself. Satan convinced a third of the angels to take part in his rebellion against God. There was a war in heaven and God and his angels cast out the devil and his angels, who were now transformed into demons, with Satan being the head of all demons. God also spoke of a time that Satan and his demons would face an ultimate judgment. All of hell knew it was on a short time-table. If the bible is true, we are still heading towards that time of judgment where the unbelieving part of mankind will join those demons in a final place of the Abyss; a place far worse than the current hell that is spoken of. Anyways this song depicts what happens when unsuspecting men walk upon a demon inspired sexual orgy.

 

"Bad Omen"

Down fell the stars, as they
Splashed into the sea.
"Mi nomine Baphomet",
Come dance with me.
Sacrifice the virgins,
Spiritual rites.
Their master's time has come,
The moon is full tonight.

Drinking, dancing,
They worship, and toast
The devil, who's watching,
With demon's remote.
Fire, rising,
Racing in your blood.
Possessed, naive,
His service is done.

Bloody blasphemy.

Sinister's the word,
As the demon's take their fill.
An orgy's taking place,
Human blood will spill.
An act of worship,
As they conceive the ghouls.
Satan has their souls,
They sing pagan tunes.
The ceremony,
Is sure to be cursed.
They ask for his blessings,
But, down comes the worst.
Their bodies, soulless,
A corpse from the grave.
Their minds are helpless,
And, no-one can save [x 5],
No-one can save them (oh no). [x 2]

 

I Ain’t Superstitious is a remake of a song written by Willie Dixon. Megadeth did a very different version of the original song performed by Howlin Wolf. Just another song to give you the creeps.

"I Ain't Superstitious"

I ain't superstitious,
When a black cat crosses my path.
And, I ain't superstitious,
As I break the looking glass.
Ain't afraid of no demons,
Don't make me laugh!
I ain't superstitious,
Under the ladder I go.
I ain't superstitious,
It's all bulls**t, don't you know!
Ain't afraid of the shadows,
I like the dark anyway, and that's a fact!
Superstitious [x 2]

I ain't superstitious,
No such thing as bad luck.
I ain't superstitious,
I couldn't really give a f**k.
Take your stupid superstitions,
And find some other paranoidal,
Chickens**t, sissy, worm, and, tell it to him.
Superstitious [x 2]

 

My Last Words is the last song on this sinister album. The song is about suicide via Russian Rouelette. The lyrics depict the fear that must go on inside a man’s head to play with his life in such a way. Finally it ends with the participant looking for someone to put under his spell and social pressure to join him in this deadly game. The first time I read the lyrics to this song, I was mortified. These are very scary lyrics written by obviously a man who was very angry, opinionated, and even if he was not directly into the occult, he was very familiar with their ways.

"My Last Words"

My life's on time,
But again my sense is late.
Feel a might unsteady,
But still I have to play.
Six to one's the odds,
And, we have the highest stakes.
And, once again I gamble with my very life today.

Highly polished metal,
The oil makes it gleam.
Fill the terror chamber,
Your mind begins to scream.
Your life is like a trigger,
Never trouble till you're squeezed.
Now you crack a smile,
As you give the gun a tease.

Place the piston down,
Now give the gun a spin.
Soon as the spinning stops,
Oh no, the game starts in.
A hateful way of vengeance,
A bit of playful sin.
Load another bullet,
Now the second round begins.

A couple grains of powder,
A couple grams of lead.
A touch against the trigger,
A touch inside the head.
Take another drink, and
Raise the last bets.
Think about my last words,
They might be what I just said.
A click comes from the hammer,
That couldn't drive a nail.
Sense the numbing cold blue,
Or the red of Hades' grill.
A fraction of a second,
Do you lose, or maybe still,
Pass it to the left,
And collect your mighty kill.

Add another bullet,
The third round begins.
Soon as the spinning stops,
Oh no, the game starts in.
Please, no I.O.U.'s,
No markers for death.
Does anybody play? Anybody,
Somebody, anybody play.

You, you, next victim, you next to die.
You, you, next victim, you next [s: your turn] to die.
You, come on, next victim, your turn to die.
You, come on, next victim, your turn to die.

 

 

            So there you go; a list of all the songs and lyrics to one of my most favorite metal bands of all time. Examining it now, I will tell you that I don’t think I should have been listening to this stuff at 13 years old. At the same time I can admit to you with a clear conscience, that I have never played the Ouija  board, sacrificed any animals, or had any sadistic thoughts of murder for anyone. Yet, let’s examine Dave Mustaine himself.

            In an interview, Dave admits that he was not only familiar with the occult, but he cast hex spells on others. He mentions that those days still haunt him to this day. I am not surprised. Let’s examine this from a couple different religious aspects. We can go right into Judaism. In the book of 2Kings, there was a young king named Saul. He was a bad king. God had placed him over the Jewish people to be their guide and Sheppard. Instead he worshipped the gods of the surrounding nations. Through the prophet Nathan, God told Saul that he would no longer be king, but that he would be replaced by someone after God’s own heart. He was referring to King David. He is the humble Sheppard onto to whom the bible prophesizes about the Messiah or the Ultimate King who would one day destroy evil and rule the world.

            King Saul contacted a woman who specialized in divination, or the calling of spiritual forces. God further condemned the king for what is later explained as having direct contact with demons. It is very ugly and scary stuff. Black magic or divination is used primarily for selfish purposes. It is a tradition that is thousands of years old. We just don’t see it that much in our culture because of our Christian, or western thought. In Richard M Place’s book, Magic and Alchemy, black magic is referred to as the worship of spiritual beings.

            So Dave Mustaine was into this, and used for selfish reasons, the idea of putting hex curses on other people. From a Buddhist or even Hindu thought of thinking, to do that only creates an enormous amount of disharmony within yourself. You create the most toxic mess fathomable. I would go on to say that these perspectives would not even give credit to the idea of spirits actually existing, but to the idea that since you wanted to do such harm to another human being, that intention is what causes that toxic disharmony within yourself.

            The Christian point of view is the final point of view that I want to look at this situation from. First and foremost, God existed before Christ was born. Secondly, the bible says that Christ was with God before the creation of the world began. The bible refers to him as the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. That inherently bestows the term unto him as avenger. A King not only makes decisions based on his wants and needs, but for the betterment of his kingdom. A king is the ultimate authority to take vengeance for one of his citizens who is not able to defend himself. The bible is full of verses about God taking the arrow from the wicked and using them against the wicked man’s own heart.

            A king is also the final point of mercy too. He can have mercy on whomever he wants to have mercy and he can condemn whoever he wants to condemn. The bible says that about God/Christ in his kingdom to come. Hell will be paved with people with good intentions. That being said, do I condemn Dave Mustaine for writing and singing some of the darkest music in metal history? No I absolutely do not. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If Dave really is a Christian now, I truly think his dark days were instrumental in making him come to the light all that much better.

            Christians have been given a bad name for a very long time for judgmental and hypocritical values. Those “Christians” who judge people like that first of all are not Christians. They are nothing more than ignorant people who take out of context something that was written thousands of years ago and use it as weapons for their own selfish motives. It’s just like black magic and just in the same way; it creates a huge amount of disharmony within the person himself. That is why those “Christians” are so bitter and hateful. Jesus hung out with sinners, prostitutes, tax collectors and thieves. He protected woman caught in the act of adultery. He chose 12 misfits of men to change the world in his name. Being a “Christian” is not about calling God’s fire down on the heathen. It’s about realizing that we all use to play for the wrong team. Eventually the coach of God’s kingdom came looking for us and recruited us.

 

Thank you for reading my blog. To close with this, I’d like to insert my favorite verse of the bible. It’s about a King, Homies…..

 

Matthew 25:31-46

The Sheep and the Goats.

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39 When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40 “The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42 For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44 “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45 “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46 “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

 

 

 

 

Sources for the Dead…

1.      Magical Religion and Modern Witchcraft by James R Lewis

2.      Magic and Alchemy by Richard M Place

3.      The Bible by God J

4.      http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/megadeths-dave-mustaine-explains-why-he-refused-to-perform-with-dissection-and-rotting-christ/

interesting article about Dave Mustaine

No comments:

Post a Comment