Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Robin Williams - America’s Comedian

 


Robin Williams - America’s Comedian

Big-Joe-Radio

8/11/2014ned to hear the news of Robin Williams passing away. At this point it is rumored that he in fact took his life. I’d like to give my own perspective on the wonderful man that I thought Robin Williams was. In a faraway war zone he called us heroes. Yet I think he was one of America’s heroes in the fact that he made so many people laugh.

            I was having a good day on the day that I heard the news. I went on a very nice date with a very intelligent and beautiful lady downtown. We spoke of many things that interested the both of us. After our date, we parted ways and I did my normal routine downtown; I picked out books to read from Barnes and Nobles and I made my way to a few of my favorite places to wet my whistle. By that I mean I enjoyed the beers of some of my favorite hole in the wall restaurant/bars.

            Later on I got the text about Robin. The lady whom I met earlier told me of his passing. My mind instantly went back to the time of 2009. That is the time that Robin Williams, Kid Rock, and cyclist Lance Armstrong visited troops in a USO sponsored trip to Iraq. 3 of the year’s playboy playmates also showed up. Leave it to the government to fly in 3 beautiful women among mostly home-sick and horny men. Either way, the show was great. Witness how epic it was as I transition from this paragraph unto the next one…ready…wait for it…now!

            ……and here I am again to tell you about each person that took the stage at that USO event. The first thing they did was bring in the play-bunnies. They were very attractive. The crowd was cheering very loudly for them. I do remember that they were not scantily dressed as one might want to assume that they were. They actually wore jeans and a long sleeved shirt. They were sweet ladies who told us all that we were their heroes and those sorts of things. Me personally, I don’t feel like I am some sort of hero in that sense, but it felt good to hear the support.

            Next up was Kid Rock. He brought out his guitar. Of course he talked about how he loved the troops and was there to support us. He went on to make jokes about the fight that he had recently gotten into with Tommy Lee, the drummer from Motley Crue. Kid was the new man in Pamela Anderson’s life while of course Tommy Lee was the former husband of hers who also had kids together. The shit had the whole place rolling. He played some good songs which included a few remakes of some Hank Williams songs. That son-of-a-bitch played a song called Naked Woman and Beer. Those were two of the things in very high demand in a war zone.

            Next up was Lance Armstrong. Up to this point there was a great vibe going between us in the crowd and the performers on stage. We loved having beautiful woman telling us they were in support of courageous men. Kid Rock could have almost been a soldier himself. He was so down to earth and not afraid to talk about the trashy parts of his life in order to make us laugh and to also set the mood for some good country/rock music. Hey, he might have hit Tommy Lee, but he was a good dude to me. Lance totally changed that vibe.

            From the minutes Lance was on the stage, it never felt more awkward and un-genuine. First of all he made it about him. He talked about who he knew and how they were able to get him over on a jet to support us. Well that is mighty white of you, Mr. Armstrong. He was a very distasteful man in my opinion as he continued to tie his visit to us with himself as if we should be so fortunate.  It wasn’t as direct as I write it to be, but the under layer of his message made it very clear that he was trying to help his own career by saying he visited the troops in Iraq. It was very fake. It sounded very scripted. He was a very insulting man. It never once surprised me that years later he would be discovered for doping to win all those tour de France races. I thought it was just me who picked up on that, but everyone else I talked to felt the same way.

            Anyways, Lance finally took his self-glory seeking ass off the stage. I hope he was not late to his next race, the Tour de Douche. Now before I get into how much fun it was to see Robin Williams on stage, I need to first tell you about the place were actually located. There is some morbid history to this event that will help.

            Back in the day of Saddam Hussein, his son Uday, was in charge of the national sports teams. This included the Iraqi soccer team. It could be common knowledge that his son ordered the torture and murder of some of the Iraqi soccer team members. The executions took place on a soccer field. That soccer field was inside the exact stadium that we were now in attendance at. In Iraq, I was at Balad Air Base. The base was one of Saddam’s military instillations. The United States Air Force bombed it very heavily until we were able to take over the base, and make the base the most heavily used runway and Air Base operations. If an American was coming into Iraq, there was a high chance that he eventually flew into Balad. Balad still had many historical sites such as one of Saddam’s palaces and even a mosque. The American military just built around it, to include this soccer field where we were now essentially standing on killing ground.

            Finally the man, Robin Williams, comes on stage and Kid Rock is on stage too. Robin Williams is kind of dressed like a gangster, walking around holding his balls, and doing the best gangsterish gestures and ghetto talk. It takes about a minute or two until you realize that Robin is making fun of Kid Rock while Kid Rock is playing some of his famous guitar music. The man right out of the gate was a comedic genius. His impersonations of Kid Rock were perfect. Kid Rock was dying from laughing so hard. The crowd was going nuts. Our spirits were uplifted.

            I forgot to mention a few things. In the crowd were 3 Humvees with 50 caliber machine guns on them. Soldiers and Airmen were sitting on top of them. During that time, outside the wire, Iraqi citizens were still shooting mortars over the fence. People died all the time from these mortars. In fact, Balad had the nickname, Mortoritaville. So Robin Williams goes into his standup first of all asking, “What the Fuck did I do to get into a situation where I could die doing comedy! Maybe I should go outside the wire and tell the Iraqis to join us for a few laughs and maybe the war would be over”. He then goes into the crazy ride into the base on a Hercules C-130. When you fly into the war zone, there is what is called a “Combat Landing”. A plane doesn’t just fly in straight and level like a normal plane landing. The plane flies over the runway at a very high altitude. If it is at night, all the outside and inside lights will be turned off. Finally the plane will drop the nose and basically do a spiral or circular decent and as quickly as possible to avoid fire or missile attack.

            Robin Williams was going into how not only did the onboard entertainment sucked (there was none), but he said he about shit himself when the airplane did that “combat landing”. He said that he nearly pissed all over himself because he was in the bathroom. To add to the story, he took a water bottle and mimicked the scene in front of us, splashing water all over him. My face was hurting from laughing so hard.

            “How fucking crazy of a place does this have to be that I am in a stadium with humvees with 50 calibers on them!”. The jokes went on and on. By his joking, he was illustrating that we as uniformed members experience things that most people back home have no idea about. He had the most genius way of taking a bad looking situation, and finding the humor in it. You also got the sense that he truly supported what we were doing out there, even if he didn’t understand what was going on. We were somebody’s sons, dads, wives, brothers, and friends. Every human being can relate to that.

            I can’t really remember much else or at least not vivid enough to write about. I just remember walking away thinking that I had just witnessed two polar opposites. I saw a very impersonal speech given by Lance Armstrong. Then I had seen a goofy Kid Rock. Finally I had seen up close the stand-up comedy that was Robin Williams.

            So to me that is what is so sad. Not that he passed away so much, but that he was young. If his death really was a suicide, that is hurtful in a way. He meant so much to those of us going through a difficult time. He made people laugh in a place that was normally full of death and despair. He was our hero even though he repeatedly called us his hero. I wish I was there to tell him that in his last moments. Thank you for reading my journey and how it involved one of the funniest men to ever live.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment