Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Ryan Gracie: So Bad, Yet So Good

 


Ryan Gracie: So Bad, Yet So Good

Big-Joe-Radio

 

            A few weeks ago I decided that it was time for me to start writing about heroes. For me it is a 3 part process; I consider it the ultimate Jiu Jitsu history lesson for me. It is a way for me to express my true feelings once again on a writing, which in turn gives me practice. Finally, it is a way for me to honor the art that has so enriched the lives of so many people that I know. Today, I write about a man whose life was so far lived on the edge, that even today he is now considered Omni-present in the Jiu Jitsu world. His name is Ryan Gracie. Some men are such Lion’s that it is impossible to kill their spirit. When their body does give away, they continue to live forever.

            Ryan Gracie was of course a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt and member of the Gracie family. His grandfather was none other than Carlos Gracie himself, a founding member of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. His brothers were Renzo and Ralph Gracie. Ryan Gracie died in a Brazilian jail cell after being arrested for stealing a car, and then attempting to hijack a motorcycle in an attempt to get away from the police. While in jail, Ryan was over prescribed medicine by a psychologist, which killed him.

            Ryan Gracie’s professional mixed-martial arts record looks like this;

1.      Win over Yoji Anjo by armbar submission

2.      Win over Ikuhisa Minowa by split decision

3.      Win over Kazuhira by soccer kicks to the head

4.      Win over Shungo Oyama by armbar

5.      Loss to Tokimitsu Ishizawa because of injury

6.      Loss to Kazushi Sakuraba by decision

7.      Win over Tokimitsu Ishizawa by KO due to punches

These were all fights against local heroes at the time in the old Pride Fighting organization. Out of his two losses, one of them was due to an uncontrollable injury that happened during the middle of the fight. His other loss was against the man deemed, “The Gracie Hunter”,  Kazushi Sakuraba. Sakuraba also fought Ryan’s brother Renzo and other Gracies to include Ralek, Royce and Royler. Ryan sought to gain honor for his family’s art by fighting Sakuraba. He may have lost the fight, yet the Gracie’s won the war.

      Now the purpose of this writing is not to go over all the facts that can be easily looked up on the internet. I’m here to write about what this man means to me after only reading the basic knowledge of such a “beast”. Ryan Gracie is spoken of as a man who once told people he was going to die by the age of 33. There are just some men who are too wild and can never be tamed by this world. They eventually will go out in a blaze of glory. The rules can’t keep him down, the men can’t hold him back, the money doesn’t impress him, and this life can’t hold him forever. That to me is the definition of a beast in life. There is only one person you have to please in this life, and that is yourself. You have to say, “fuck those who stand in my way”. Life moves out of the way for people like this. I have no doubt why people loved him so much even to this very day.

      Like I said before, I am nowhere near the expert in Jiu Jitsu, which is why I am doing this research in the first place. Yet I understand my need to be around wolves like this man. It only makes more sense to me now as I discover more about myself in learning about the Gracies.

      I came from a family of criminals. My mother served federal prison time for escaping out of a New Mexican jail. Before and after that, to this day she is in my heart considered the wildest woman I have ever been around. She refused to allow her kids to be pussies. It was a harsh way to grow up, yet now looking back, I could not have made it in my life as far as I have through the tough struggles, without her. My uncle was in a biker gang. I remember as a little kid when he was released from prison. He’d come take me to hang out with his hell’s angels buddies so he could tattoo them. I was not even a teenager and he was telling me how to get woman. How woman don’t like pussies, so you have to be tough. I got my first pimping lessons from a convicted bank robber. To this day I have never been afraid to approach and get woman that I want.

      I also grew up with two cousins my age who were wild men. One ended in death and one ended in a harsh life inside the prison system. One was named Ace, the other was named Sean. As teenagers, we were always together. We literally rotated on whose house we would spend the weekend at. Sean was a funny kid. He was really smart too. Ace was not so smart but he would do anything. We would ride our bikes together and Ace would go down the steepest mountains. He was always up for the biggest rush. I remember Ace biffed it hard going down the mountain. He went over the handle-bars and passed out. When he came back to consciousness, he went back up that mountain. He had no fear. Sean didn’t either. I was the youngest of the cousins. I was never as brave as them, but I always wanted to impress them so I would do the stupid things they dared me to do. I jumped off of mountain cliffs into steep snowbanks. I hitched-hiked from one mountain town to another so I could find them hanging out with their friends. I just wanted to be with them. It was always the biggest rush growing up with them. I thought everyone in the world was a pussy compared to them.

      In fact, that is also what we did; we fought all the local boys our age who thought they were tough. We stole their bikes and destroyed them. We made out with their girlfriends. Ace and Sean used to scare the shit out of me, yet I felt more alive being with them. I probably had a follower’s mindset, but that’s ok because I would have hated hanging out with the nerdy kids who did all their homework, raked the leaves when they were supposed to and were friends with all the popular kids in school.

      Well as in with Ryan Gracie, that wild heart can only take it so far. When I was 17 years old, I learned of a horrible death that Sean met his end to. He had a girlfriend who began cheating on him with another guy. Sean went to the girl’s house to confront her on the issue. Sean had a gun; shots were fired into her house. The police were called. A high speed chase ensued. There is an amusement park near Denver called Lakeside amusement park. Well Sean crashed his car into the lake itself, while running from the cops. Sean had a friend with him in the car. The friend swam to the shore while Sean decided that he was not going to be taken into custody. At the Amusement park, not far from my house, Sean decided to take his life while telling the cops to go fuck themselves. Even to this day, I only remember Sean as a dear cousin who was so close with me, and challenged me not to be afraid of anything. I never thought to be afraid of losing him like that, and I did.

      Now my cousin Ace is a different story. Sean’s suicide ruined him. He blamed himself because he knew Sean was very distraught in life to find out his girlfriend was cheating on him. The night that Sean went on that shooting spree, Ace chose to go hang out with friends. When it comes to Ace, I have seen a grown, hardened criminal cry like a young child because he never forgave himself for that. Ace never recovered. He’s done every drug in the world. He gang-banged with his Hispanic friends. I can think of 5 county jails that he has been incarcerated in, besides doing major time down in Canon City prison.  He used to come to my house with stolen cars, drugs and guns in the glove compartment. By that point I was scared shitless of the path he was taking. He was too wild for me. I don’t think I could have handled that kind of risk and the consequences that came from it.

      So do I understand men like Ryan Gracie? You bet your ass I do. That’s why today I have joined the rest of the world in saying that I love his wild heart. I could have never lived his life. But I know that some men are just never able to be tamed. They fight not only other men, but the bullshit system of this world designed to make us all slaves in the first place. They go out in a blaze of glory.

Thank you for reading my blog. Jissoseph out!

           

Sources…

1.      http://www.graciemag.com/2012/12/special-5-years-without-ryan-gracie/

2.      http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Ryan-Gracie-325

 

No comments:

Post a Comment