Monday, August 10, 2020

A Ronin in Exile

 

A Ronin in Exile

11/1/2014


Writing is a very wonderful thing. What happens to you spiritually and emotionally after you create words with meaning, is one of the most powerful things you can do with yourself. The problem is writing can cause a lot of turmoil. Classic examples include when Adolph Hitler black-listed ever author throughout Europe who’s writing did not go parallel with NAZI nationalism. Writers were exiled, sought after, and even killed while later on Adolph Hitler would burn books by the millions.

That’s how powerful writing is. Well it is no different in the martial arts world. I had grown to love martial arts, specifically Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. My writing may or may not have caused me to fall out of grace with my master. In the life of Bushido, a Ronin is a samurai warrior who is without a master. He is much more hostile and dangerous to the world around him. Many a nations back in the ancient Asian times actually sought after such warriors to become paid mercenaries. Many Ronin wandered the world feeling shame and defeat.

Suicide in the Asian culture was the ultimate form of displaying your loyalty. They were dive-bombers in the world wars for the Japanese. In Bushido, a samurai warrior clan could also be tested for their loyalty by the command to commit suicide. Sometimes it was for political reasons. Yet in the middle of that follower thinking, there were those who went after the true spirit of martial arts. That meant they disobeyed their masters and went out on their own. This was a huge thing. Not only did you lose favor with your master, but you lost fellowship with your fellow warriors. The worst of those might even want to fight you now that you are a wandering warrior.

Well we are not in Japan and we do not live in the ancient culture of Asian honor. This is America, where presumably you may have to switch martial arts school. It doesn’t mean that the art does not still live inside me. Enough with this passive writing, I have to now consider my options as I have recently fallen out of grace with my previous master.

Why did I fall out of grace? Now because I write I attracted the affections of the wrong person. By wrong person, I mean a married person.  I would have never pursued anything remotely close to romantic interlude.  I thought my intentions were good in this circumstance, I never blocked the relationship where all she did was give her utmost approval to my writing. I have a confession to make; a lot of women like my writing. By default, writing displays a soul that is not ordinary. It is a soul who can attach words to meaning and quite fluently to be exact. So I got kicked out of a Jiu Jitsu school that I had invested nearly seven years of my life into because I had a fan in the same school.

After I was kicked out I was told from a reliable outside source that my master did not like that I put my writing out there. It was to open, raw, and “out there”. That is exactly what happens when you write. You put it out there for other people to see and there will be critics. There will be people who will tell you that you need to stop this instance. I was soon realizing this. My writing, like so many famous authors, had caused me to go into exile.

Did I break the Bushido code? Maybe I did. Maybe I should have kept my feelings to myself. Maybe I should have lived the quiet life. Martial arts are very cultish in nature. There is a huge hierarchy, with ultimate decision making left to the master. It’s highly regimented. Anything brought into the open opposite of the code will get you first a warning, but it ultimately can get you banned. Writing by definition is about bringing thoughts out into the open. So yes, I broke the Bushido code.

So when did I get my banishment orders? It happened while I was at work, at the Colorado Air National Guard. It happened when I was doing work that does nothing but enhance the betterment of greater society. I was serving my country when I was told I was a liar and that my behavior was questionable. Are you fucking kidding me? I thought there was more drama on the Jerry Springer show. I realized that day, this was not the case. But I am not here to talk bad. I received skills that I will forever consider valuable. I learned more about myself and made more forward progress in my life than at any other point ever. This period of time that I have entered may be what I am supposed to do to get to next section of my intended path. That is called Divine Providence in some philosophical modes of thinking.

So what do I do now? I do what I love. I will write and write and write. I will work out by running and weightlifting. I will consider other areas in my life to work on. I will work on myself of course, as usual. Will I join another gym or academy? Of course I will. I cannot go without samurai training forever. I do not intend to be an eternal Ronin. Since we live in America, which is highly capitalistic, I will easily find someone who will take my money. That is a no brainer. For now, I am going to reserve my loyalty at this point in time. When this season of my life ends, I will find a master that I can respect and will follow whole-heartedly.

 

Jissoseph out!

No comments:

Post a Comment