Tuesday, September 15, 2020

The Tale of Kenneth “Bones” Florence

 


The Tale of Kenneth “Bones” Florence

1/14/2015



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GSftrS2g78

Little-Son,

            My special boy, I was thinking about you today. I was thinking that I may need to pick up another IPad so that you can have mine to play your games on while you are here. That way I can read my stories while you are playing your learning games next to me. We won’t argue about who’s getting the IPad next.

            Anyways, it’s time to move on to another history of your crazy dad’s life while growing up. I don’t expect that you will be reading this anytime soon. There will be some adult content to this and I write these history lessons for you to enjoy later. Today, we go back to Biscayne Blvd, deep in the heart of Miami, Florida. There are other things that migrate during the spring, besides the bullfrogs on a hot Florida afternoon. My Uncle Ken would migrate down to visit us.

            So during this time, there was My Cuban pops, Peter. There was my mom, my sister Lisa, my brother Tony, and then me. I believe the first time uncle Ken came to visit was when we all were cramped in a trailer on the campground. This was before my mom’s Jewish boss, Mr. Diamond, let us move into one of his properties. The first time Uncle Ken came to visit, he had just finished doing a lot of time in prison for bank robbery.

            So imagine this tall, biker looking guy. He had long beautifully braided hair. He had a bushy mustache. He was built from all those years of weightlifting while incarcerated. He was a full blooded Arian Nation member in the prison. He was a bad mo-fo. He was also artistic as all hell. He was a tattoo artist. I remember the many tattoos that he had. He had a wizard on his back. He also had a huge castle on his back, which I would later understand to represent his time in prison. He had the pink panther on the inside of his ribs. He had two tear drops coming from his eyes. I would later learn that those tear drops would mean that he killed two people while in prison. He had the NAZI swastika on his back as well. He was a very dangerous man, and we welcomed him with open arms to stay with us.

            Now I need to go back to his mother, my grandma Mary Jane, to paint a better picture of Ken. Grandma was a messed up Marine who got discharged, drank and abused weak minded men. Grandma stabbed your uncle Ken when he was only 15 years old. I don’t think a young man gets over that kind of thing very easily, if at all. Grandma of course neglected all of her children as she drank and manipulated men for the majority of her post Marine Corp life.

            My uncle Ken ended up in some of the youth authorities down in San Diego. He would be in and out so many times, that it was no surprise that he would graduate into the adult system by the time he became an adult. Now although I’m painting the life of a hardened criminal, there is this weird thing about respect that guys like my uncle Ken lived by. Even when robbing his first bank, I remember him once telling me how he told her to, “Please give me your money, ma’am”. Yet he was by no means a nice guy. To be very honest, he scared the shit out of me. It wasn’t the kind of fear where I thought he would hurt me, but the kind of fear where I better listen to him when he talked to me. He grew up in the 50’s and 60’s. Men were fearful back then to a much grander scale than they are today.

            So anyways, this big, muscular biker guy comes to stay with us, and I thought he was the coolest dude in the world. It was during the summer time. So I wasn’t at school. He was fresh out of prison. He hitch-hiked, rode the bus, whatever he had to do to get down to see his baby sister, my momma. She would work during the day, and I would hang out with my uncle Ken. Mom put him in one of those ten man tents in our front yard. I always wanted to see him draw. He was freaking amazing. He would draw the most beautiful pictures that even to this day, I had ever seen. You would think a guy like him would be drawing something dark or evil all the time. It was actual quite the opposite. He drew beautiful ducks on a lake, with the reflection in the water, with an enormous castle in the distance. He would draw flowers, dragons, angels, mountain scenery, and the ocean. I had even begun a game with him where I would try to test his skills by saying he couldn’t draw such and such. For example, I’d tell him to draw me a big bear fighting in the woods against a lion or something crazy cool like that. He would blow my expectations out of the water. He had such an imagination. He was incredibly talented.

            He was also a ladies man. I don’t know how a man straight out of prison would right away have a girlfriend, but he always had someone by his side. I’m not saying they were the best, but he was not a lonely guy ever. So when he wasn’t drawing, I would go places with him. I remember him taking me to a biker party. He told me they were Hell’s Angel’s. Now I can’t verify that because I was too young to know even what that meant, but I know they were a lot of people who rode motorcycles and got tattoos from my uncle Ken. That’s how he made money (There were some other ways, I’m sure, but we’ll leave it at that). I remember he would take me to the rough parts of Miami and talk about life with me. I don’t remember a lot of what he said. I do remember some of it was about respect. I also remember he told me how to pick up chicks. He was very brutally honest. He talked to me like I was going to be a man myself in about five minutes. He joked about how to pick up the ladies. From what I remember, you just have to be very forward.

            There was only one thing that I didn’t like. Sometimes my mom and him would drink and talk about the past. I was too young to remember what was being said, but it made me uncomfortable as a young boy to hear my mom and him so angry. When I say angry, I mean anger because of very deep seeded pains in their lives that they had a mutual connection to. Inevitably they spoke of grandma. I always grew up hating the conversations that entailed her name being brought up because it meant people I loved at the time were hurt because of that name.

            I remember a few weeks would go by and Uncle Ken would tell us goodbye as he would go do his thing, wherever that was. He talked a lot about family. He would try to explain to me what being a man was about. And being around him, I just witnessed what it was like to be around a bad ass dude.

            He visited us again the next summer. There was more of the same stuff from the previous visit of his. He’d tell me not to be so shy with the girls and to be tough. He had these rubber nun-chucks, and he was always showing me how good he was on them. He would make the funny Bruce Lee sounds. He was actually really good at it. Here’s the scary thing about Uncle Ken: when he said it was time for him to go home, he wasn’t talking about a white picket fence. Prison was his home and he knew it. Even when he was watching me, he would explain that that lifestyle was in his blood. He also told me that if I ever ended up in one of his prisons, he’d beat my ass. He said he wanted better for me and my siblings. He really loved my mom and would have easily added another tear-drop under his eye by killing anyone who hurt her.

            He eventually did go back home. I don’t know all the details, and if I did, I would not talk about them too deeply here. All I truly know is that he ended up getting a 25 year sentence in Utah for being a habitual criminal. Uncle Ken a habitual criminal? Of course. He spent more of his life locked up than he did as a free man. When I joined the military, and got stationed overseas, I used to write to him. He would always tell me that he was proud of me. He would always ask me what kinds of things I was getting into. He never once talked bad about the government. He knew his place. He never had a negative thing to say in any of his letters. In fact in all his letters to all of his family, he would purposefully write everything in old English lettering, as if he was writing in calligraphy. When he would write my mom, my Aunt Pat, or my aunt jean, he would draw them the most beautiful pictures. He drew lovely pictures even for my grandma (yes, the one who stabbed him).

            I took leave of absence one year to go visit my siblings and mom. At that time, the state of Utah had moved my uncle Ken from the main penitentiary to one of the county jails. I was told that my uncle Ken had too much power in prison among the inmates. They moved him to disrupt that. I visited him in this county jail. He asked me how I was doing. Thinking about it now, I think he was ashamed for anyone in the family to see him in that condition. He was a little stand-offish and when he asked about my mom and such, I could see his eyes swell up. I’m not trying to glorify an ugly situation here, but I am speaking the truth here. By this time, I was about 23. He was roughly ten years into his sentence. He would get denied parole every two years. Finally, when I was a junior in College, I got word that he got paroled. He was staying briefly in Colorado and I went to see him.

            For a man who had just done twenty years in prison, he did not seem to have a stress in his life. He was all smiles. He had his long, braided (but now grey hair). He was full of tattoos. He had the hugest biker mustache that I had ever seen. He had nothing but praise for what I had been doing in my life. We talked. He asked about the family. He asked me how my kids were.

            That would be the last time I would ever see him. He was supposed to report to a halfway house within a certain amount of time. He decided he was not going to do that. From rumors, I heard that he hitch hiked out east somewhere. He got himself a logging job. He did become a fugitive of the law. The last thing I ever heard was that he died in the desert of California. He died running from the law. One final interesting fact about my uncle Ken was that while he was incarcerated in Utah, his artwork was displayed in the governor’s mansion. He entered the Utah state drawing fairs and would always get first place. I think the state would keep any moneys, of course. He also cut his hair and donated it for the cure for cancer. I’m talking about a man who robbed banks and had tears tattooed on his face. Uncle Ken epitomizes the fact that life can be cruel, ugly, and beautiful at the same time.

            I love you boy.

Love, Daddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment