Friday, September 18, 2020

(Could You Be Loved) What if I Don’t Need To Be Loved?

 (Could You Be Loved) What if I Don’t Need To Be Loved?


6/4/2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3t6YDnGXAc


 

            I asked a smart ass question today. I asked a person of the female sexual nature, “Could you love me?” What that immediately sounded like to me was me asking, “Can you love me enough to cover the love that I don’t have for myself?” Of course, I immediately felt vulnerable and pathetic all at the same time. So really, what does it mean to be loved by a person of the opposite sex? Surely I did not feel like I needed this individual person’s love, for I have known her very long. I think I was asking the rhetorical question of, “Why must I be loved”

            I do a lot of reading of philosophy and poetry. I have been reading giants like Ralph Waldo Emerson, and John Milton. I find that I can relate to their writing in that I want to be the person that I can love, not the person that somebody else can love. What happens if I lose that person? What happens when (and there will be a when) that person’s love for me begins to wane like the midnight sun setting down? My soul will be devastated because the need for me to feel love or be loved will not be diminished by the outside circumstances. If I depend solely on the love from an outside source, then I will tire every day of the vacuum that is created when that love is void for even five minutes.

            What is the response then if I were to say, “Well I don’t need love?” To me that sounds mighty brave in a world where we are expected to be social beings and loneliness is a terror that artists, musicians, writers, and actors talk about in their art, much more than any other subject. To deny the need for love seems possible. But you also become victim to your own bravery, because you also become hardened. You become emotionally unattached which is ok if you don’t want to feel anything at all, to include hate, anger, sadness, joy, peace, guilt and even frustration.

            The idea of love then is not the battle; it’s the amount of love and the way you love which is the true struggle that we all face. Now I love my children. I also know that I can love them too much, or to an unhealthy degree. If I refuse to take care of my own needs and overexpress love to my offspring, which quickly becomes unhealthy. If I put my children on a throne, it becomes wrong. I have to love in the sense of caring for and providing for, but I also have to be able to say to them, “sit the hell down, stop talking, and get ready for bed.” If I put anybody in front of my own needs forever, I will slowly dwindle myself to a place where it is not even possible for me to love anything.

            Emerson wrote in his essay, The Over soul, that before a person can be ok with anyone else, he must first be ok with himself. This may take years of self-guided or forced isolation. A person must sometimes go through this isolation before he can be fit for society. In fact, he may be a sickness instead of a blessing to others if he hasn’t got this precept correct, before he begins to love another.

            One of the reasons I enjoy writing so much, is that it is a huge vehicle for me getting into the mind of myself, and to conquer my inadequacies while at the same time celebrating my strengths. I know my thoughts. They are ever before me, but on a daily bases my thought betray who I really am even to myself. I sometimes want to burry by head under a pillow and think no more because all that floods my head are feelings and thoughts which I have no idea from whence they flow.

            Now when I write, it is as if I’m a Roman soldier, nailing a criminal to the cross. Only I am the roman soldier and my thoughts are laid upon Calvary. I’m able to examine where those thoughts come from, why they have their being, and from which way they travel. I get to have fun and develop ideas from other ideas from still more ideas. It is as if I’m an onion and I’m only now learning why my thoughts can create tears my solace cheeks.

            So could I be loved? Of course I can, by me. The danger in realizing this is that I can then live a real selfish life because I’m capable of pleasing myself to the highest of joys. I know what I do or don’t want in my life of passions, desires, joys, and romance in activities. To be honest, it would take another person only 5 minutes to fall quickly out of rhythm with my wants where as I am always in rhythm. I have years to train myself, and I have a track record of what I like and do not like.

            Do I want other people to love me? Well I don’t enjoy being despised, unless I am for some reason despised because I have found this secret to self-love while you are continuing on your deplorable journey to find someone in whom you can give permission to love you, when you should be doing it in the first place (and much more know how).

            Let me use my children as another example. If my son were to one day steal my car, go rob a bank, and ruin other properties of mine, of course I would be angry. Yet my very next emotion would be the desire to fix and save him from the consequences of his own destruction. That’s why as a parent, it’s best I curtail his/her behavior now, so as not to save only them from heart break, but myself as well. I will forgive my children much more quickly. Now if a lover were to somehow hurt my property, reputation, and or time, I would be much more apt to say that they were without loyalty, and any love that I would generate would be a love towards my own heart because now I feel a wound from a person who at one point was a complete stranger, until I gave them permission to be known to me. Now I will regret the displeasure of knowing that person, and will immediately protect myself from further injury.

            It is in the divine nature to reproduce, because the way I see it, we are not all flesh, but contain a spirit that has no end, and a mind that can think amazing things. When I see my children, I actually see the mirror image of myself. I see who I was before life made a mess of me, and I’ll do my best to prolong the inevitable when life will eventually take hold of my kids. That’s why I feel there is unconditional love that only exists between me and my children, and me and my creator. So if I ask a female, “Can you love me”, the answer will always be a resounding “not in the completest of terms, yet consider that a god-send”.

These are just my thoughts on love. I still love to kiss, cuddle, and have relations with someone of the opposite sex.

No comments:

Post a Comment